Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Just One Day: Gayle Forman



I read this via audio from my local library, and the narrator was perfect. I thought I knew what I was getting into but I was wrong on so many levels. This story was so wonderful, and not at all what I was expecting. I can’t wait to get to the others. 

Allyson is the definition of “good girl”. She acts, talks, and works like the perfect daughter. Everything her parents want from her, all the plans they make, she follows along because that is who she is. Right? It only takes one day for Allyson to decide if the “good girl” is really who she is. Allyson and her best friend Melanie take the trip of a lifetime; a European tour, after graduation.  On the last night of the tour Mel plays sick and they break away from the tour, which leads to the start of Allyson’s change. The girls watch a street play where Allyson meets Willem. The next day fate; or maybe an “accident”, throws Allyson and Willem back together. They decide to take the one day Allyson has left and run away to Paris. For just one day. 

I can relate to Allyson in so many ways. I too am always the “good girl”, I have done everything in my power to please my parents. As Allyson learned I know everything isn’t enough. Once this fact becomes known a person can really grow, and learn who they really are. This book does a wonderful job of showing that life doesn’t always go as one plans for it to, but if you don’t let the curve balls bring you down. 

 As Willem points out life is full of accidents. Everything happens for a reason. One accident leads to another accident and that is your life. Without that first accident your life would be completely different. So don’t be afraid of life, of accidents, or of change. Yes, life is hard and some life events are more complicated or hurtful than others. In the end it will all be okay. You may not get the ending you always hoped for but you could definitely get a better one than ever imagined.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment