Monday, November 30, 2015

ARC Review: The Trouble With Destiny; Lauren Morrill




Release Date: December 8, 2015

I was given an e-copy of the Trouble With Destiny by the people of Random House on Netgalley. 

This is my first book by Lauren Morrill and I don’t think I could have picked a more relatable one for me. Being a band person to the bone I found great humor in this book picking out the characters all bands have. Such as: the goofy percussionists, the series woodwinds, the bossy drum major, just to name a few. Lauren does a wonderful job at really showing how band people are and that tension between them and the other groups at school.

Liza is the drum major of her high school marching/concert band. When she finds out the band is about to lose funding she set the band up to go on a cruise to compete for a $25000 grand prize.  All they have to do is beat their biggest competition, the Athena’s her high school’s show choir. Liza chooses not to tell the band about why they need the money, which turns out to be a big mistake. All the stress from keeping such a big secret causes Liza to melt down when things start to go wrong as soon as the ship leaves port. Liza has to do something fast before she lets the whole band down. Can she do it? Or will she let the frenemy and boys get in the way. 

The Trouble With Destiny is a wonderfully cute quick read. Which I like but I kind of wish there was a little more substance to Liza and her story. I will definitely read this book again though, very enjoyable.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment