Thursday, January 14, 2016

ARC Review: I See Reality Twelve Stories About Real Life





 I See Reality is expected to publish January 26, 2016

** I was given an E-ARC copy of this book for an honest review.

I See Reality includes short stories written by Heather Demetrios, Kristin Elizabeth Clark, Stephen Edmonds, Patrick Flores-Scott, Faith Erin Hicks, Trisha Leaver, Kekla Magoon, Marcella Pixley, James Preller, Jason Schmidt, Jay Clark, and Jordan Sonnenblick. Grace Kendal is the editor. 

With compilation books sometimes it is hit or miss with the stories and who likes them. This collection is a wonderful one overall. Yes there were a few I liked more than the others and a couple that I’d read again but just didn’t mesh with but that is to be expected. All of these stories are meant to be about real life events, not ones that necessarily happened to the author but that could happen to anyone.  Topics include abusive relationships, drugs, coming out, school shootings, mental problems, family stuff, and love.

 Stories 1, 2, and 9 are my favorites.
1: takes a look at a girl trying to find the courage to get out of an emotionally abusive relationship. I have been in this situation so it was comforting to me reading about someone else in the same situation. It is never easy to get out of any kind of abusive relationship. Many times it is more terrifying to think about getting out than it is to stay.
2: takes a look at coming out.  A guy that no one suspects to be homosexual decides to use a class project to come out and possible land a date with his crush. Unfortunately when he convinces his best friend he really is gay, she tries to help in all the wrong ways.
9: I loved this one just because it was the first graphic novel style story I have ever read. It is just perfect all the way around.

Didn’t care much for 3 and 6, they weren’t bad I just don’t think I understood them.  I really don’t know what to say about them other than I was just confused when I finished. I’ll look at them again one day and maybe I will see the light. 

I wouldn’t recommend reading this book if you have triggers because most of the stories you don’t know the topic until it is too late. If you don’t have triggers then I highly recommend this book. I cannot wait until it is published so I can get a physical copy and read it again. 

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment