Saturday, January 9, 2016

ARC Review: This Song is (Not) for You: Laura Nowlin



 


** I was given an e-arc of this book by Sourcebooks for an honest opinion.

I am not usually a fan of books written from multiple points of view but this one I think it worked well for. This Song Is (Not) For You is the story of Ramona, Sam, and Tom and their journey into friendship, senior year, and the future.

Ramona: odd girl, drummer, pianist, knows she wants to be a musician, secretly loves Sam…
Sam: guitarist, torn between music and chemistry, secretly in love with Ramona….
Tom: artist, glitter bomber, confused over love, unknowingly looking for his people.....

 Ramona and Sam have been friends for years. Together they are April and the Rain, a band made of a drummer and a guitarist. They meet Tom when they audition for Artibus; the music/art school all three want to attend. Tom joins the band as the “chaos maker” and a wonderful if unusual friendship is born. 

I can relate to Ramona and Sam being the “outsiders” at school but being ok with it. They don’t really fit in at their school because they don’t care as much about appearances, or labels, and they are a little nerdy. Thankfully they have each other and their music. Tom goes to a different school; where he is also kind of an outsider, but he can fit with a few different “groups”.  Once the three find each other they discover how friendships can grow/change, new ways to love, and that plans don’t always work out like one wants.

This Song is (Not) for You was a very quick read but was also extremely enjoyable. When I started I didn’t think I would like it but the more I read the more I got invested in the story. There were a couple things that surprised me when I read them but just made the story deeper. I wish I had Ramona’s confidence, Tom’s artistic eye, and a friend like Sam. I am so glad I was given the chance to read this book. It really shows how senior year and life decisions can come easy to some but not as easy to others. Also how important friendships are in the journey of people’s lives. 

I know some people will be turned off from this book because the love triangle aspect, but the triangle isn’t a major part of the story. It is more about life and friends so don’t let that stop you from giving it  a chance.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment